Monday, December 8, 2008

conversation with Brooklynn...

B: when I grow up can I be a mommy?
M: yes, if you want to
B: but I have to get married first...
M: yes
B: how do I get married?
M: you will meet a boy, learn to love him, and then decide to get married
B: and then I can be a mommy?
M: yes

Suddenly her face got really sad and she paused a little...

B: but are you and daddy going to die?
M: someday, but hopefully we will be around for a long time and be able to see all your babies grow up... is that something you think about?
B: yes, sometimes
M: does it scare you?
B: yes, I want to see you all the time


Brooklynn is growing a lot in her intellect. It is clear that she is processing the "real" things of life a lot more. Sometimes it brings up hard conversations that I really don't know how to react to. I guess this is just one of the next steps in parenting. It really is the hardest job in the world!! I want to protect her, but tell her the truth. I can't shelter her into thinking everything about life is great when there are hard times. I guess that I have to trust that what we teach her everyday through word and action will be enough to meet her needs.

No comments: