Monday, October 27, 2008

Big savings...

The last two months I have been learning a lot from a friend of mine about saving money through coupons and tracking sales. I have been getting better and better at it. When I first started I was saving between 12% and 15 % just by hitting sales and with my couple coupons.

Now I am up to about 35% - 40% savings every week. My friend Amy saves between 70% and 90% every week. This is my goal, but I am still learning. Today I ran out to get a few things that I forgot to bring coupons for yesterday when I went grocery shopping. Above is what I got.

Toilet paper: sale $.99, coupon $.50 off, doubled means FREE

Energized batteries: sale 5 for $10 or $2 a piece. I had $1 off coupons and then there was an instant rebate sticker for $1 on each of them... FREE

Halls cough drops: sale 4 for $5 or $1.25 a piece. I had a coupon for $.50 off, doubled is $1 off. Total... $.25 each.

You still have to pay the sales tax on everything, but my total was $21.02 and I walked out paying $1.40. I am very excited!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now only if I could read Korean coupons!

Little S said...

Wow! That's awesome!! I've heard of people going to the store and actually getting money back. :-) Did you have to do hours of research to figure out the system?

Jen said...

Way to go Janet! My sis', Laura, is like a professional at the grocery game. She is one of those people that gets cash back. She saves like $150-$200 per shopping trip, it's incredible. I don't think she's paid for any kind of toiletries for 3 years! Congrats on the savings!

Emily Genz said...

Wow! I am totally impressed! How much time did that take to figure it out?

Jay said...

I use the grocery game too and love it. It really doesn't take too long once you have your system in place. The way I think about it is that if I work on it an hour a week and save right now about $60 a week, it's like I got a job that pays $60/ hour.
I am still learning as I haven't been doing this very long, but if you want help, e-mail me.

Jay said...

sorry, Jay is Janet... I'm retarded!!